Happy National Moon Day!!! Wow, 51 years ago, we landed on the moon. Astronauts Neil Armstrong and Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin were the first to land on the moon. Michael Collins remained in orbit. Neil Armstrong was the first man to step foot on the moon, “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind” were the words he spoke.
Who Were the Astronauts on the Moon Landing Mission?
- Neil Armstrong was born on August 5, 1930, and at age 38 he became the first civilian ever to command two space missions. He had previously piloted Gemini 8 on a mission that resulted in two vessels docking in space for the first time. Michael Collins was the one flying Gemini-10, and he space walked for over one hour. Edwin Aldrin was the first individual with a doctorates degree to go to the moon. Born in New Jersey, January 20, 1930, Edwin piloted Gemini-12, and he spent 20 minutes in space just to prove that you can work on your spacecraft. – World Atlas
Who Were the First Men on the Moon?
- The astronauts entered the lunar module (known as the eagle) on July 20, 1969, where they separated from the Command/Service Module and proceeded to the moon. Collins remained in the orbit where he did some experiments and took some photographs while Armstrong and Edwin landed on the moon. After landing, they confirmed if the systems were ok and then configured the vessel before they ate. Armstrong and Aldrin skipped the scheduled four hour rest and proceeded to explore the moon instead. – World Atlas
Create Some Happy National Moon Day Fun
Create these fun and easy to make “National Moon Day” crafts, cocktails, and treats.
Foot Print Cupcakes
- Cake mix
- Whit frosting
- Food coloring – all four colors
- American flag toothpicks
- Bake the cupcakes following the directions on the box.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely.
- Mix all four colors of the food coloring box, red, blue, yellow, and green.
- Add more blue to make it gray, you will just be eyeballing this.
- Spread the frosting on the cupcakes with a knife, leaving a flat space on the top of the cupcake.
- Put the cupcakes in the refrigerator so the frosting can harden.
- Use a spoon to flatten the top of the cupcake.
- Take the fork and press in on the flat spot to make the foot print.
- Add the flag toothpick.
TP Space Ships
- Toilet paper rolls, emptied.
- Deco Art paint, red, white, silver and blue.
- Small paintbrush.
- White scrapbook paper.
- Glue dots.
- Scotch tape.
- Decou page
- Silver glitter
- Paint all sides of the the clothespins silver, let dry and set aside.
- Create fun American spaceship things on the outside of the toilet paper roll with the red, white, and blue paint.
- If the toilet paper rolls aren’t white, you can paint them white to start with.
- Set them aside to dry.
- To add glitter to the clothespin, paint a coat of decou page on one side and before it dries, pour the silver glitter on it.
- To create the cone top, fold a piece of white scrapbook paper into a cone and glue it together.
- Cut the excess until it fits the top of the toilet paper roll.
- Tape the cone to the toilet paper roll.
- Add the clothespins to the bottom.
Create A Moon Rock
This is such a fun craft for the kids, and the adults to do. You can play with it as moon sand, and then turn it into moon rocks.
- 4 Cups of baking soda
- 1/4 Cup of water
- Silver and gold glitter
- Black food coloring (sold by Wilton)
- Be sure to wear the gloves.
- Mix all the ingredients completely.
- Form into balls, make them different sizes.
- Let dry overnight.
- 2 Oz Vodka
- 1/2 Cup of Coconut milk or cream
- Round Ice Cube (this is your moon)
- Black berries for the moon rocks
- Put the round ice cube in the bottom of a rock glass or short Champaign glass.
- Add the Vodka and the coconut milk.
- Place the black berries around the ice cube.