With summer at it’s peak, and the hot days getting hotter, why not create a fun “Staycation” in your back yard. We can’t all get to the beach or even the neighborhood pool, but you can create a fun beach themed retreat with these 10 great staycation retreat tips.
1. Start With Where To Put Your Staycation Retreat
The key is to make a plan, you know, measure twice, cut once. Or in my case redo it 3 times, and being the perfectionist that I am, do it again. I knew where I wanted to put it, I just didn’t realize how much of a slant my yard had. Be sure to level the ground completely before installing the pool and sandy area.
2. Having The Right Tools
You can rent them or buy them, I opted to purchase this rototiller, it was only $20 more to buy then to rent. I’m sure I will use it again. You will also need a shovel, rake, and good gloves.
3. Leveling Is Key
Once you level the area, put down weed killer and landscaper paper. This will stop weeds from coming up through the sand and into the bottom of the pool. I also put down bug killer to stop any fleas or crawly things from ruining my staycation retreat.
4. Creating The Beach
My first attempt at the beach only cost my around $50, but after realizing I needed some sand to help level everything out, the total was just over $100. I found the play sand and the pavers at Home Depot. The wood was from a few past TV segments I did. I plan to create a better deck area, but for now, this worked great.
5. Buy The Pool
There are so many pool options out there, but the availability is another story. I have to say, the quickest way to get a pool bigger then a small plastic kiddy pool was through Amazon. I found this 10′ x 7′ x 22″ pool for around a $100, and received it within a week.
6. Add Old Christmas Lights
I added old Christmas lights so we could swim at night. This was a pretty easy addition and cost me nothing. Just be sure to unplug it at night, saves on energy and keeps it safe.
7. Make Your Staycation Fun
Now the fun part, decorating your staycation area. I bought these colorful chairs on Amazon. Yes, Amazon was my hero throughout this staycation creation. I also purchased the umbrella and the beach towels from Amazon. Below are links to the items that I purchased. Check the prices when you click, the prices seem to be much higher in these pictures then what I paid. For the umbrella I only paid $69. The pool prices do range along with the shipping time, I paid $117 when I bought it. The chairs were only $24, but prices do change, so just do your homework.
8. Keep Your Family Happy And Safe With Their Own Beach Bucket
Create a bucket of safety items for your family. Whether they are going to the staycation in your backyard, or heading to a real beach, make sure everyone in your family stays healthy. You can find the buckets at your local dollar store or even on Amazon. Here are my top 5 items to put in my beach bucket.
- Nozin® Nasal Sanitizer® antiseptic added to every day routines gives the peace of mind that sanitizing your nose helps protect you for up to 12 hours, so being outside is stress free and fun.
- Big Beach Towel
Related – The Best Staycation Ideas
9. Beach Towel Holder
Create this fun and easy beach towel holder with a few items you may already have.
- Fence picket – I cut mine in half, but you could use the whole thing
- Outdoor paint – I like the Deco Art brand
- Contrasting paint color
- Screw in hooks
- Thick rope or twine
- Paint the wood picket, you can sand it first, but I like the rustic look.
- Let it dry and add your words at the top.
- I free-handed “Beach Towels”, but you could put everyone’s names or something else.
- After the paint is dry, decide where you want to put the hooks.
- Drill a small hole to get the hook started and screw it into the wood.
- Drill a large whole on each end of the holder, this is for the rope to hang it.
- Hang it on a fence or somewhere else. Hang your towels on it to dry after you get out of the pool.
10. Personal Smore’s Firepit
Smore’s are a staple when it comes to summertime treats. Why not create a separate smore’s cooker for everyone in your family. It’s safe, fun, and you don’t have to start a big fire on these hot summer days.
- 4″ Clay pot
- 3-4 Pieces of Charcoal
- Graham crackers
- Chocolate bars
- Popsicle Sticks
- Place the tinfoil inside the clay pot, be sure to cover the whole inside of it.
- Add the charcoal to the clay pot.
- Lite the charcoal and let it get hot.
- Place a marshmallow on a popsicle stick and roast it.
- Add the toasted marshmallow and the chocolate bar on to the graham cracker.
- Enjoy the yumminess.
1 thought on “10 Great Staycation Retreat Tips”
It’s really Awesomee!!!
You didn’t go to anywhere. you just need time to spend in the backyard holidays with the family.
Thanks for that inspiration 🙂