It’s hard to believe it is almost Memorial Day, which means summer is almost here. Celebrating Memorial Day means so much to so many, it’s where we honor and thank our service men and women for their sacrifice. I have a few creative Memorial Day craft ideas that are fun and easy to make. There’s a little bit for everyone, including a yummy summertime cocktail for the adults.
Poppy Flower Picture Craft
The history of the poppy flower and Memorial Day dates back to World War I. On Memorial Day, people will wear a poppy flower to commemorate the lives of those who died fighting for their country. The Friday before Memorial Day (May 28 this year) is National Poppy Day.
- Round Sponge Brush
- Deco Art Acrylic Paint – Red, Black, And Yellow
- White Craft Paper
- Green Paint Marker
- If you don’t have a round sponge brush, you can use a potato cut in half, or cut a regular sponge into a round sponge about 1″ wide.
- Dip the round sponge into the red paint and put 3 round dots in a circular pattern to create the poppy flower.
- Let the red flower dry.
- Dip a smaller round sponge in the black paint and create a circle in in the middle of the red flower.
- Let it dry.
- Take the back of a paint brush or pencil and dip it into the yellow paint to create small yellow dots in the middle of the black circle.
- Draw stems with the green paint marker.
- You can hang your picture on the wall as is, or place a frame around it.
Star Spangled Sun Catcher
Sun catcher’s are a fun craft to create any time of year, especially when summer is almost here. Memorial Day is usually the beginning of summer, so why not celebrate both summer and Memorial Day with these fun and creative Memorial Day craft Ideas. You can also use these as placemats.
- Contact Paper – Clear
- Tissue Paper – Red, White, And Blue
- Craft Paper – Red, White, And Blue
- Star Cookie Cutters, or Star Craft Punch
- Silver Glitter
- Blue Painters Tape Or Duct Tape
- Cut 2 pieces of contact paper to a 12″x12″, or whatever size you want your sun catcher to be, do this 24 hours ahead of time.
- Place books on top of the cut contact paper to flatten it for the next day.
- Cut tissue paper into different small shapes, any shapes.
- Using the cookie cutters or craft punch, cut stars out of the craft paper.
- Tear the protective paper off of one of the sheets of contact paper.
- Place tissue papers and craft paper stars all over the contact paper, don’t cover it completely.
- Sprinkle glitter all over the contact paper.
- Carefully remove the protective paper off the other piece of contact paper and place it on top of the decorated piece, sticky side down.
- You will not be able to move it once it sticks, so take your time.
- Cut any access contact paper that is overlapped.
- Using the painters tape or duct tape, frame it out on all 4 sides.
Memorial Day Lemonade Spritzer
There is nothing better then enjoying a beautiful day with a yummy cocktail. This Lemonade Spritzer is perfect for any summer day, and is a great addition to any Memorial Day celebration. You can even make it as a “Mocktail” for the kiddos, just don’t add the Whiskey.
- 2 Oz Texas Ranger Whiskey
- 1/2 Cup Lemonade
- 5 Fresh Mint Leaves, Muddled
- 1 Sprig Of Mint
- 3 Slices Of Lemon
- Club Soda To Top Off
- Muddle 2 slices of the lemon with the 5 fresh mint leaves in the glass, a tall glass or mason jar glass works great for this cocktail.
- Add ice to the glass.
- Next, add the whiskey, lemonade, and top off with the club soda.
- Garnish the cocktail with a sprig of mint and the 3rd slice of lemon.