Visiting Cody, Wyoming, and Yellowstone National Park was definitely the highlight of my summer. I had the chance to explore a town I’d never been to. Adventure through a beautiful National Park. And try some amazing food and the best old fashioned cocktail I have ever had.
Black Cherry Old Fashioned
I couldn’t wait to get home and try my hand at making this amazing cocktail. We stayed at the Chamberlin Inn where they had a bar downstairs. The bartender made amazing cocktails, and I may have gone back a couple of times for the best old fashioned cocktail I have ever had. She wouldn’t give me the secret of the homemade bitters, so I had to get inventive. I hope you like it.
- 1 1/2 Oz Texas Ranger Whiskey
- 2 – 3 Drops of Orange Bitters
- 1/2 Oz Black Cherry Simple Syrup (Recipe Below)
- 1 Orange Slice
- 2 Black Cherries
- Long Toothpick
- If you have one, use a large ice cube, otherwise, add a few ice cubes to a rock glass.
- Add the whiskey, bitters, and simple syrup to the glass and stir.
- Rub the orange slice around the rim of the glass and add it to the toothpick.
- Next, add the 2 black cherries to the toothpick and place them on top of the glass.
Black Cherry Simple Syrup
This simple syrup is great in a lot of different cocktails, and it is perfect in this old fashioned.
- 1 Cup Pitted Black Cherries, I Use The Frozen Ones From The Grocery Store
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- Slice the black cherries and place them into a saucepan.
- Add the sugar and water.
- Cook over medium heat.
- Once it boils, turn it down to a simmer, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for 10 minutes and pour through a strainer into a Mason jar.
- Store it in the refrigerator.
Related – Cody Wyoming Road Trip